Friday, September 7, 2012

Relief

Last night ended up being significantly better. I attempt sleep each night anytime between 8pm-Midnight. It all depends on Madeline of course. Last night, we didn't get Madeline down until 11pm, but I found a temporary solution to her gas - at least I think so. When she's placed in her bassinet or pack n play, the exploding gas happens almost immediately, then follows the grunting and moaning. Last night, I pulled out her Nap Nanny Chill and decided to give it a try. It's elevated and reclined at a 30 degree angle, and it is supposedly supposed to help with colic, gas, reflux, etc.  I placed her in it, and within 30 minutes, the viscous gas subsided. So, after each feeding last night she'd only have about 30 minutes of the gas, then she would fall asleep. I must thank Shellie who recommended this product for our registry! I'm so glad we have it. Of course, I'll try again tonight hoping and praying that it works again.

I'm going to try placing towels under her bassinet mattress to elevate it as well. I prefer her to sleep in the bassinet, but for right now, as long as she sleeps wherever, it's fine. She is really adorable when she's sleeping, too. See below:





I also discovered an easy method to get poop stains out of clothing. I tried Oxyclean and Resolve before washing in baby detergent, but no luck. Someone suggested putting the clothing in the sun for a few hours and it would remove the stain. I was extremely skeptical. Sure enough, it worked. Crazy.

It seems like her soy formula is working. She hasn't had one spit up today, and her gas has been minimal. She's going to have some spit up because 1 she's a baby and 2 she does have reflux. She was a little confused at first with getting a bottle of formula, but I think she's starting to get the hang of it. Oh, and the engorgement is awful. I'm a little better today, but yesterday it felt as though my boobs were going to explode. I actually stopped pumping completely, because it became too painful. Hopefully, this will only last a couple more days. You can try cabbage leaves, which can dry up your milk. I might do that as a last resort. I'm also limiting my water intake and my allergies are horrible, so I started Zyrtec D yesterday. The antihistamine is also supposed to help dry up the milk.

I must admit that giving Madeline formula has been so much easier on both of us. I'm less stressed, and quite frankly, it's just easier. I hate that so many people are judgmental about formula feeding vs. breastfeeding. In my case, I wasn't giving up on breastfeeding because it's so damn challenging, but because it was heart breaking to watch my baby be in pain 90% of the day and night. It was awful. Making the decision to go to formula was difficult. I just couldn't bear the thought of giving her my milk knowing that it's going to make her ill. I just couldn't handle that any longer. And, I'm content with my decision. She's happier, and I'm happier. If you want to judge me, go right ahead. That's your problem and not mine.

As far as my weight goes - I haven't weighed myself in a few days. I did lose another pound the last time I did weigh...I don't remember when that was. Only 5 more to go. I received my workout DVD yesterday, and as soon as my engorgement stops, I'll start doing it. Although, I have a feeling that I'm only going to make it halfway through...lol. But that's okay..I can rebuild my stamina after being on bed rest for a couple of months.

Our weather is bonkers right now. The high today is 95, but the high on Sunday is 73, with lows in the 40s. I'm excited about the change, but my allergies are not going to be appreciative. Next week we'll bump right back into the high 80s. At least we get a taste of Fall.

2012 has proven to be an excellent year for not only us, but our friends and family as well. One of my best friends is pregnant, and the other just got engaged. Plus, Bran and Michelle purchased a new home and my mother started a new job that she loves. There have been so many life changing positive outcomes thus far this year. I'm so grateful!

1 comment:

  1. I was so relieved when I finally made the decision to fully formula feed - you know what is right for you and your child and I hate that so many new moms feel guilty or judged for making the best decision for your family! So glad you are finding solutions, and hope that it continues to improve!!!

    ReplyDelete