Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sleep, please?

I ended up being up all night again due to contractions. However, this time around, I can distinctly tell the difference between a Braxton Hicks contraction and a real contractions. My real contractions start out low, then radiate and tighten my entire belly, then wrap around my lower back. I had both kinds on and off all last night, but not in any particular pattern.

I was anxious to go to my OB appointment this morning, and of course, after I got out of bed the contractions started to dissipate. My NST looked good, and I am slightly more effaced more than I was on Monday, and barely dilated. Some progress, I suppose.

My OB made sure to ask if our car seat was in the car, hospital bags packed, and everything was ready to go. Of course since I have to be prepared for everything, this was all done weeks ago. She also advised Tommy and I to have a "date night" this weekend (if Madeline doesn't come in the next couple of days), because it will most likely be our last for awhile. And, she prepped me again for when we need to go to the hospital if something happens between today and my appointment  Monday morning.

I mentioned my upset stomach, and she said it was my body's way of preparing for labor, and it's actually quite common, and a great sign. Now, if I can just get some sleep! While I'm happy I am making progress, I am in desperate need of sleep.

The reason why my contractions are more frequent during the night, is that while we are in darkness, sleep states, etc. our bodies produce oxytocin - which is what is released during labor and triggers contractions and dilation. This is also why many women go into labor more during the middle of the night, instead of during the day. Interesting stuff, huh?

Anyway, I'm cranky right now, and I'm going to go lay myself of on the couch and call it a day. 


2 comments:

  1. Hope you get some sleep! It has to be nerve-wracking waiting and wondering, you are making me glad I never had contractions!!! Hang in there - birth day is soon no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It certainly is nerve wracking, but not too much longer, thank goodness :)

      Delete